About our Churches

Bishop Ellis (Bishop of Nottingham 1944 – 1974) formed the parish in August 1947. A group of interested people purchased land at the allotments on the corner ofSouthernhay RoadandKnighton Road. This Association of families was keen to provide a place of worship for Catholics in the developing suburb.

A resident priest, and at times two priests, have served the spiritual needs of the people ever since. The present structure of Priest, Deacon, Parish Ministerial Team, and Schools continues to serve and promote interest in Jesus of Nazareth and his Church. The organisation of the Church here exists only to assist the true Christian life in the hearts of all. Each person is important, and new parishioners are most welcome to express their opinions and share better ways of furthering the ‘Reign of God’ among us.

  • Foundation Stone Laid on the 4th November 1950 by Bishop Ellis.
  • Blessing and Opening 1952 by Bishop Ellis
  • Consecration 22nd June 1972 by Bishop Ellis and Bishop McGuinness

In 1996, the building, was due for a complete redecoration and the parish decided to take this opportunity to implement a full scheme of reordering to accommodate today’s liturgy and function of the church. The parish had outgrown the existing parish room and it was decided that as well as the scheme of reordering to the church, work should be carried out to update the parish facilities to serve their expanded needs. The works were begun on 8 January 1996 and completed in time for the ceremony of rededication, celebrated by Bishop James McGuinness, on 20 September 1996.